I had an allergic reaction to medication & I almost died

First of all, thank you so much for the well wishes...God heard you. 

It all happened so quickly on Saturday, I went from enjoying an evening of watching a show to suddenly my tongue began to swell up within a blink of an eye. Mr. Man had left on Friday to go to Vegas to visit his military buddies and he was going to be back on Sunday but my tongue kept growing and I told my son I am going to the Emergency Room because it's not normal that tongue is swelling but deep down inside me, I knew that I was having some sort of allergic reaction to something. I actually thought that Kaiser was going to give me a shot and I'd be back on my way home.

I drove myself to Kaiser because I wasn't feeling bad but what was so odd was I got a super close parking spot in Emergency and when I walked into the Emergency Room, there was no one in Emergency. No one.

I walk directly to desk and she asks "How can I help you?" and I tell her "My tongue is swelling" and soon as those words fell out of my mouth, another lady outside the reception area and told me "We are going to start your vitals now and you are going directly into the back to see the doctor.

Within about 20 minutes of me walking into the Emergency Room, they put me into a coma. I was incubated, I was put onto a ventilator and the machines was keeping me a live.  The lead doctor estimated that I'd probably be in the coma for 2 to 5 days.

The reason they had to move so quickly is that they didn't want my tongue to block my airway and I would stop breathing because they wouldn't know if they could bring back or if I'd suffer brain damage.

I could hear the staff talking while I was in the coma.  

I was fighting that coma because I kept hearing them say "she's trying to wake up, she's trying to wake up!" 

It felt like I was dreaming and I was trying to move my hands but my hands didn't seem to be moving, I tried to open my eyes but my eyes didn't let me see. I was trying to tell them that I could hear them.

The whole time that I was sedated, I was talking to God and telling God that my family still needs me, I am not ready to go, I still have a lot to do.

They had me on the fentanyl while I was in the coma.

Once the hospital made the determination that they could remove the breathing apparatuses and I could breath on my own and I awoke from the coma, it was so surreal because I thought only a couple hours had passed and when the doctor told me what day it was and I was "Are you serious?"

The ICU staff was outstanding and they all came, one-by-one, into my room at different times of the day letting me know that I had made it. They were like "when you came in, you were hooked up to so many machines. We was praying for you."

I guess when you wake up from sedation that you really wake up in stages because I guess I woke up and I tried to get out of bed...but I don't remember any of that but when I did finally wake up, they had tagged a wristband on me "Falls Easily".

They put you on so many medications while you are in the hospital to counteract the meds that you are on to keep you alive and I was hooked up to so many monitors and they put some kind of contraption around my legs to stimulate leg movement so I didn't get blood clots from not moving.

My first day home was yesterday and I had the biggest headache and I took two aspirins and I swear, I slept for 5 hours.

They sent me home with a whole arsenal of pills to take and they got me on 50mg of Prednisone which is heavy, it effects your mood, your memory, your energy, your thoughts, your stomach but it keeps me from having another allergic reaction.

You should see the bruising on my body, it's crazy.

I cannot say when I will return to a regular blogging schedule because I feel so tired.  I am hanging on by a thread because it has taken me hours to write this post...and I got up super early this morning.



9 comments:

  1. Ms. B. OMG how scary. Was it a new medication? Just get take care of yourself, the blog will be fine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roz, So glad to hear you are home! Take care of yourself and don't worry about the blog. Sending you best wishes for a speedy recovery! From a faithful reader in upstate NY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GrannieD...I appreciate you so much for being a faithful reader in upstate NY❤️

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear you are back at home. Hope you recover soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you are home! Take care of yourself. We will be here when you are up to it. Do not push yourself, just rest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How scary! So glad to hear you are back home and I hope you regain your strength quickly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...so glad you had the presence of mind to get yourself to the ER and fast! Wonder what caused it...because you have to make sure never to take that again. I had no idea what they do in instances like this and glad you got excellent care from Kaiser (of course, I'm biased since I retired from there!). Thanks for taking the time to write it down so we all knew what you went through...take it easy for however long it takes to fully recover!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad that you are back. Take it easy for awhile now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very thankful you made it there in time and are now safely back home. Get lots of rest and continue to take good care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete

A few Vons/Albertsons Deals

  A reader, NJ, says the following: Vons/Albertsons - Finish RInse Aid (part of buy 4 items)- $3.99- J4U Mfg IP $2 Q= $1.99. Ibotta $2 so ...

Popular Posts